Longwood, FL asked in Family Law and Intellectual Property for Florida

Q: Potential damage to family personal property.

I was at my fiance's grandmother's house who is storing some possessions of her son's. Her son gave her a Christmas tree, so we set it up for her. However, he had a top to another Christmas tree there that we thought belonged to the one he gave her . It didnt light up since it belonged to another tree and we took it down and put it back. Today, he messaged my fiance saying he will hold her accountable if any damage was done and she had no business to set up the tree. He did not see the tree yet, but no physical damage was done to it. He's going off of what was said about the tree being put up.

Would accidental damage (I doubt there is any) be forcible on court? Mostly seeking knowledge on this matter, as I highly doubt anything is broken. I appreciate it. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the son gave her the tree, it is not his. So no, he couldn't recover for negligent damage to the tree.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.