Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Mexico

Q: My son was born in new mexico n im from n.m too after he was born my sons mom took off with him to Colorado well 9yrs

Later she moved back to n.m for 8 months n let me n my son build a relationship then she just took off to Colorado out of no where then I filled for custody here in n.m but which state would have jurisdiction Colorado or New mexico

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: If your son has been back in Colorado for less than 6 months, New Mexico courts will have jurisdiction over the custody issues. If he has lived in Colorado for 6 months or more this time, the Colorado courts will have jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.