Pueblo, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Can my ex give his parenting time to his new wife while deployed?

I have primary custody of our son. My ex recently got married right before his deployment and is now saying that he is giving his parenting time to his new wife. I was under the impression that when he deployed I had temporary full custody. Is he legally allowed to give his parenting time away?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: He can request that. A fit parent is considered to be able to delegate his or her time. However, the delegation is not automatic. You can contest it as not being in the best interests of the children, if that is the case. He also would have to file with the court to modify the current plan if you do not agree to his proposal. However, you would have to file if you do not want to have the time delegated if he does not file.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.