Philadelphia, PA asked in Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: Are primary beneficiaries entitled to estate accounting details? Is there an agreement we sign when the estate closes?

What are the options for getting an executor to do his job? This estate has been open since 2013, we finally settled the real estate in July 2021 which was the most outstanding unresolved asset. Now he simply has some tax issue to clear up and needs to do whatever it takes to close and make the final distributions. Every time I speak with him he has an excuse and essentially seems to not be working on it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: A beneficiary can compel a formal accounting by the Executor. Essentially the Executor ca offer an informal accounting and you can all sign a Family Settlement Agreement or can submit a formal accounting and ask for court approval. Either way you can demand an accounting now and file petition with court if fails to respond

Stephen M. Asbel agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.