Brockport, NY asked in Child Support and Family Law for New York

Q: Does the amount of child support reduce for the non custodial parent if child doesn’t live with custodial parent?

If my child lives with grandparents instead of custodial parent how is child support calculated? Does the amount get adjusted because child doesn’t live with residential parent. Are both parents now obligated to pay? Let me preface by saying I have joint custody and I would like my child to live with me but mother wants child to stay with grandparents. Child is 16yrs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If a payee parent is no longer custodial of the child, he/she is not entitled to any child support. If the grandparent that is now custodial over the child they must petition for support from both parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.