Tampa, FL asked in Personal Injury, Products Liability and Medical Malpractice for Florida

Q: Do I have a case against the medical company who made a product that has caused chronic pain and 2 surgeries this year?

After having complications and surgery from the mesh for my bladder my doctor used a product called macroplastique (Pfizer ) which is a filler that is supposed to last forever. Afew years I started having constant pain and bleeding, which at first the dr thought were bladder infections and kidney stones, last November my doctor told me it was the macroplastique broke into pieces and embedded i into my bladder and urethra and calcified. I continued to have pain after the surgery and was required to have a second surgery on November 1 of this year. My doctor also said that this is something that could keep occurring because there are still pieces in my body. My dr said it is rare but she does have another patient it happened to. I have all the X-rays showing the damage from the macroplastique. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Florida attorney could advise most meaningfully with regard to state law elements, but your post remains open for two weeks. But as a general matter, it could be difficult for an attorney in ANY jurisdiction to advise based on these facts alone, despite your description offering meaningful facts. Attorneys generally require the guidance of experts in evaluating such cases. I'm sorry for your ordeal and wish you good luck for a healthy recovery. Such cases are based largely on product liability theory (which you've identified in choosing categories), and involve demonstrating a device's defectiveness, whether evidenced by defective manufacture, defective design, or a failure to warn. Discovery in these types of cases is often complex and can entail expert opinions from medical, medical device, or pharmaceutical professionals. You could continue to await an answer here, but a law firm would likely need to conduct a thorough review to answer your question. You could reach out to attorneys to discuss. Law firms that handle such cases generally offer free initial consults, and these days, virtual meetings are common. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.