Longmont, CO asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: My sons dad didn't pay child support til he was 7 when the county found him. do I sue for the support before that time?

The court did not find him til my son was 7. My son is turning 19 next month and we want to know how to go about getting back support from before the court order

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you file in juvenile court, as opposed to domestic relations court, you might be able to request pay before the time that you file the court action. However it sounds like there has already been some court activity in the case and that may impact your current options.

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You may be able to do that. The exact procedure will depend on whether there was a divorce or some other child support proceeding, and what orders have already been issued. It will also make a difference whether you and he were living together during those 7 years. You should get a lawyer to review the situation and advise you how best to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.