Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: A person (grown child) of defendant. Called 911 and had someone ( the mother) arrested for false allegations of assault.

The daughter later decides to not prosecute the defendant (her mother), but once she gets to the court to waive prosecution she is informed that the State has picked up the charge for no other reason but cruel and unusual punishment.

If this legal in general sessions court of Tennessee?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It is always the State's Case, not the victim's. The Mother may get indicted, unless she has already plead guilty. The victim will be subpoenaed to the Grand Jury. If her allegations were false, she should hire an attorney for advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.