Papillion, NE asked in Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: Is it illegal for an 18 year old who is a ward of the State of Nebraska to run away?

Is it illegal for someone who is 18 and a ward of the State of Nebraska to run away from their foster placement if they aren't on probation and have no criminal cases pending? Especially if they deciced to run to a different state? Could anything be done once they cross that boundary into Colorado or Iowa?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If a child is in foster care and runs away, the State generally has an obligation to make attempts to retrieve the child and then often has additional restrictions placed on the child so the child doesn't run away again. Encouraging or assisting a child to run away can be charged as a crime.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.