Tucson, AZ asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for West Virginia

Q: Husband inherited half a house, his sister won't buy out or sell and lives there. What can he do?

Husband and his sister inherited a house in West Virginia after their mom died in 2017. Sister had been living in the house since then and doesn't want to sell or buy out his half. Plus she has made the house much worse condition since it was left to him. Husband and I live in Arizona. What are his options to get his fair share of things and get this behind him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Assuming there is sufficient equity, a suit for an Sale For Partition should be filed. Hire a competent WV attorney that knows real property litigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.