Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: To see my son in utah

Me and my ex-wife were divorced four years ago there’s a family plan in place here in Colorado we moved to Utah three years ago where she resides today I was out here in Colorado now we split up she has threatened to have me arrested if I show up at the residence. She has had me arrested before for the same thing just showing up to check on my son. The parent plan here in Colorado states that I am allowed to have contact and know what’s going on with my son at all times it is a joint custody. I’m not sure what else to do next since she’s in Utah thank you very much

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. It is unclear where you reside and where the child resides. In any event, if she is violating the court order, you can enforce it. Colorado has continuing, exclusive jurisdiction, however if all parties are no longer in the state, a party can petition to have the order registered in another state for enforcement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.