Asked in Probate for Utah

Q: My dad passed away in 2005 and he left when I was born so I had never met him no clue if there was a will or not and I

Noticed that in his obituary it had listed 3 children which are three sisters I never knew about and not me not sure what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Hello,

I am not sure about your question. What is it that you want to do? If you have an interest in trying to collect from your Dad' s estate, you would first need to see if a probate action was filed. I would look in the district where your Dad last resided. It would be an uphill battle to recover anything though as it has been so long.

Normally, claims against the estate expire 1 year after date of death of the decedent there are some exceptions, but first I advise sleuthing and discovering if your dad had substantial assets at the time of his death to make it worth your time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.