Satellite Beach, FL asked in Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: Abusive marriage

I'm stuck in an abusive marriage. I am trying to get away but have had trouble finding a lawyer to assist me and the children. He controls our money and finances (removed me from our joint accounts so I have no access) and does not give me access to any money. Now he's taking away my cell phone and telling me to get my own (I have no way to afford it as I'm disabled and unable to work). Without a phone, it will be impossible to be in contact with my doctors. Is there anything I can do? Can he do this before we're divorced?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You obviously used something, whether it was a phone or a PC to ask this question. Use that same device to contact your doctors and other people who might assist you. You need to file in court for divorce and, at that same time ask for a temporary order requiring your husband to pay, while the divorce is pending, your living expenses as well as the court fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.