Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: Is my ex spouse allowed on my property after divorce has been finalized and I am refinancing the home?

Divorce has been finalized and I was awarded the home and given 6 months to refinance the home and have to pay ex spouse monthly mortgage until the home has been refinanced. The judge ordered him to leave the home and take all belongings giving him 30 days. 30 days has passed and he still wants to come on the property to get items he left. Can I call the police? Isn’t he trespassing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should not call the police over a minor issue. If you don't want him in the house, tell him to come by at a certain time and date and everything will be left in the driveway for him to take. Technically, he may not have the right to get anything if it's been past 30 days, but it can't hurt to just give him the stuff to get rid of him forever.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.