Grapevine, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Missouri

Q: My sister has full custody of her boys. She passed 2 weeks ago. If she left a will stating where she wants them to go,

can it keep them from being placed with their biological father who is a deadbeat and will not take care of them and only wants them for my sister's social security? We have not yet found a will but still have some things to go through.

1 Lawyer Answer
Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: To get custody of the children you will need to file for a guardianship over the minors. If the father wants the children it would have to be a contested guardianship case. Either way you will need to hire an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.