Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Please expand on “ No Juridiction” recently my grand sons where taken into state custody.

And the courts claims no justification as they are from Nebraska. What are some of my options. My daughter is willing to give me custody if needed. I am able to care and provide for them if need be.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: A court has to have jurisdiction to go forward with a court case. Sometimes when children are involved, there needs to be a determination as to which state gets to decide the custody and/or placement issues. There are specific rules as to how courts determine which state gets to hear the case when the children have recently resided in more than one state. Which rules apply depend on what type of custody issues are pending.

Generally, once the State takes custody of children, the parent has now lost the ability to make decisions, such as who the children live with. Thus, the parent can no longer decide to give custody to relative once the State has removed the children. It is now up to the State and the Court to determine appropriate placement of the children unless and until the Court decides the children should return to their parent(s).

You would need to consult with an attorney directly about what may be your options to try to intervene in the case the State has brought against the parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.