Mcdonough, GA asked in Child Support and Divorce for Georgia

Q: How to navigate spouse and lawyer delaying divorce process? No children support in 9 months.

My lawyers have been asking my spouse, with whom I am separated from for his check stubs to complete the docs for Divorce and child support since July 2021. Received start of Dece. Waited one month for spouse to sign docs and wanted changes. Now have to wait again. What can be done to move Divorce along and received child support? Also can spouse be taken to small claims for significant amount of loss child support over last 9 months?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You don't have to wait for him to sign. You can file for divorce and ask for a hearing immediately for him to pay child support.

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with my colleague. You can move forward with the divorce, you don’t have to wait until he decides he’s ready to go forward. Your lawyer should be able to help you with this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.