Stone Mountain, GA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: I was awarded emergency custody of my kids in 2018 after a mom abused my 7yr at the time we have 3 kids total

I went to superior court to file for divorce The judge sent us to juvenile courts where I was awarded custody of the kids the CPS & gal was involved

Mom had numerous other abuse incidents during the parenting time process but jurisdiction & who knows what prevented anything from being done

CPS assured me that because they was in my custody that they can’t intervene in custody or visitation issues if the kids are safe with the custodial parent

So nothing was done

So they send us back to superior & I still obtained custody until the very end then I lost it

because the judge allowed the last two hearings to have people testify on fraudulent contempts ABOUT me this painted a picture i feel & made his decision bias

The judge even stated that we was there for divorce not contempt but he will hear the witnesses out because they are there & taken off work etc

I didn’t properly combat that I was per’se

Can CPS now open up the cases of alleged abuse now that she has custody

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Trying to get to the heart of your inquiry, but it appears you have a messy custody/family/criminal set of intertwined issues. Unfortunately as you have discovered there are not a lot of great resources for folks in these situations outside the traditional legal system.

The headline is "You need to hire a lawyer," as with so many intermixed issues a central manager will be able to sort through all of them and balance the various perspectives, wants and needs.

There are several groups that assist with the families of abusers however if you are now being accused of some sort of abuse yourself that is going to complicate things.

My best advice is to ask your friends and family if they know a LOCAL lawyer who they trust, as i think a good session to set out all the issues will clarify things and put you on the right path. LOCAL lawyer, someone old fashioned

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.