Asked in Consumer Law for Arkansas

Q: I had a credit card judgement placed on me in 2012 for $3.666 and am on ssi, the debt collector placed a lien on my home

Arkansas has a $2500 dollar homestead exemption, I live on 10 acres in an old trailer not worth any value

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike T. Ramsey
Mike T. Ramsey
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Ocean Springs, MS

A: If they took a judgment against you, the judgment acts as a lien against your property. You will not be able to sell the home without paying the lien off. There is a small possibility that they could exercise a sheriff's sale of the property but in my experience, that is unlikely with homestead property. In Arkansas, judgments are good for 10 years unless renewed. Pay attention for any notices that you may get and once the ten years has run, you may need to reach out to a local attorney to ensure that the lien is gone. If they reenroll the judgment, it's going to stay there for another 10 years, though. You may want to speak with a local attorney for more options. Most offer free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.