Commerce, GA asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: Hi my fiance was arrested I didn't press any charges but the state did is there anyway I could get them dropped?

His charge is a misdemeanor he's recently in Jackson county jail and his bond is $1350 he broke a mirror that he gave to me

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The State, through elected prosecutors, retains all authority when it comes to whether to pursue charges or not, unfortunately.

THAT BEING SAID, as the alleged victim you retain substantial influence over whether the State can be successful in trying to prosecute him. First off you have some rights under the Georgia Victims Bill or Rights, and you can advocate using that law.

More importantly, you are likely a substantial source of facts related to the case and, after being guided by a competent LOCAL lawyer, you may be able to dramatically influence the State's ability or interest in pursing charges. You got do it right, and there are ethics involved, but you deserve to be heard and have a right to speak.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.