Savannah, GA asked in Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: If damages occurred by my attacker am I required to repair or pay for it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: So the attacker caused property damage and you are inquiring if you are responsible for it? Thats hard to answer without more facts as you may have independent duties to repair (such as leased property) that are in play regardless of the criminal process.

Very commonly the prosecution will require/request restitution during a criminal prosecution to recover the costs of damages related to the crime such as property damage or medical bills, but that takes a long time and are often defaulted on during probation.

You may also have the right to sue the person independently for damages or injury, and that is a standard civil case with all that comes with one of those.

Most importnat is the amount of damages needs to be substantial enough to justify the time and effort of the process. No sense spending thousands to recover hundreds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.