Mcdonough, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: How to pursue past due expenditures related to no child support in 9 months, while waiting for divorce to be finalized?

I have been waiting for my husband to provide his check subs and sign the divorce documents for overstate vorce documents for over 6 months now. He has not provided any support for his children since may 2021. I would like to know how to proceed with pursuing past due expenditures for the last 9 months without support and his delay in moving the divorce forward.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: As long as he's not paying you, he has no incentive to sign. You can file for divorce, ask for a hearing for child support going forward as well as reimbursement for past expenses. Speak to an experienced family law attorney about your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.