Broomfield, CO asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado

Q: I’m a single mother to a teenage, special needs son. I’m looking for child support and a parenting plan.

Father and I have never been married, never been to court, have zero agreement. Recently, father started paying $300 a month in child support, although I have 100% parenting time. Father can afford more but is unwilling to pay more or help with groceries or utility bills, doesn’t pay for dentist/health etc. and refuses to give me a letter stating his support status so my son and I can receive government help. Grandparents often help with financial situations.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You should file a court case to get these things in place. Child support can be set based on the respective incomes of the parents. A parenting plan can be established in accord with the best interest of the child. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.