Center Junction, IA asked in Tax Law for Iowa

Q: Can my fiance claim me on taxes?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agustin  Arbulu
Agustin Arbulu
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI

A: This is very interest question and suggests that your fiance wants Head of Household (HOH) status to take advantage of the lower tax rate and higher standard deduction. To qualify for HOH your fiance must:

1. Pay for more than half of your household expenses (such as groceries, rent, mortgage payments, utilities, etc.)

2. Be considered unmarried for the tax year, and

3. You must be a qualifying dependent.

Assuming you meet the first 2 requirements you will probably fail the 3rd requirement, being a qualifying dependent. A qualifying dependent can be a step sibling, nephew, aunt, niece, which I suspect you are not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.