Oklahoma City, OK asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: Does a person have to directly tell anther person either verbally or in writing or by 3rd person that they DO NOT want

to be contacted by internet, telephone, 3rd party, etc by that person anymore and make the alleged abuser clearly aware that they DO NOT want to be contacted by that person at all anymore and if that person DOES NOT comply with that persons request and CONTINUES to contact that person AFTER being DIRECTLY TOLD not, ONLY then can the victim LEGALLY go file stalking, harassment, or cyber stalking charges on that person to obtain a protective order on them??

Is it not AGAINST federal & Louisiana State laws for the alleged victim to go file stalking, cyberstalking, harassment charges in order to be able to obtain a Temp restraining order on that person if they NEVER even notified the alleged abuser even once NOT to contact them anymore??

Just going to police station and claiming someone is stalking, cyberstalking, and harassing, that has NO IDEA whatsoever that they are not to be contacting that person anymore CAN NOT be legal in any court, is it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your question is convoluted. But if told to cease and desist, continued contact is harassment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.