Mesa, AZ asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Colorado

Q: How do I sell a 0.26 acre lot left behind in Pueblo County, CO after my parents’ passing?

I have two sisters that want me to sell the lot and split it three ways. I don’t want to be liable for the taxes in their entirety after the sale. What kind of document do I need from them before I can sell the lot? How do I avoid the entire tax liability? Neither of us want the lot.

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agustin  Arbulu
Agustin Arbulu
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI

A: This is an important question posed. As I understand it your parents left you and your sister a piece of property. I am assuming the property was to be owned jointly with your 2 sisters. Further I am assuming the property is in your name for convenient purposes (like to avoid probate). If that is the case, I recommend you quit claim the property from you to your 2 sisters and yourself making sure that you indicate as follows: "X quit claims her interest in the property to X, Y, and X as tenants in common." With tenancy in common each person has a distinct interest in the property, which means one person can sell her interest w/o approval from the other tenants in common. Another approach is to quit claim the property from you to your 2 sisters and yourself as joint tenants. This would read as follows: "X quit claims her interest in the property to X, Y, and X as joint tenants." A joint tenancy means each person holds an indivisable interest in the property and thus rights of survivorship. As joint tenants each person can not sell her interest. Now on the sale of the property each of you would be required to sign off on the deed transferring the property to the new buyer. Further each sister would be liable for their share of the tax liability arising from the gain and not the entire amount of the tax liability. However, make sure that the SSN (social security number) of each sister is provided at closing so that any 1099 form issued is sent to each sister proportionate to her interest (1/3) in the property sold. This form is usually issued by the buyer at the end of the year but not always.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.