Freeport, ME asked in Criminal Law for Maine

Q: Is there anyway to resolve an out of state bench warrant without going to that state?

I live in Maine and have a nine year old bench warrant in Florida for a misdemeanor and failure to appear, the last thing I want to do is go to Florida. Are there any options I can try from Maine?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bangor, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: You can try resolving it from Maine but will need a Florida lawyer because it's a Florida case. I lawyer in Florida may be able to get the warrant vacated and resolve it without you having to return to Florida.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: I agree with the options suggested by attorney Tzovarras. A lot of times the willingness of a jurisdiction to not require you to return to answer a bench warrant depends on (1) the underlying charge (traffic, misdemeanor, felony) and (2) what you are willing to do with the underlying charge. If it's a traffic ticket or a fine owed, it is entirely possible that if you pay what's owed and the bench warrant fee, then you can do so without appearing, but the best thing to do is get a Florida lawyer to assist and represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.