Minneapolis, MN asked in Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: What is the process for getting an order of protection extended when it expires? Do I have to go back to court?

I received an order of protection against an ex-boyfriend two years ago. Unfortunately I did end up going back to him and dating him while the order was in effect but have since completely left him and no longer want to see him and I am in fear of him. There were countless violations of the order pretty much every time we saw each other or talked that went unreported that I have evidence of with phone records, video, photographs etc. I need to know if I have to go back to court like when I initially got the order or can I just file some paperwork and the judge will look it over and decide? How do I go about doing this and what should I expect . how likely is it that a judge will extend it considering I did actually date him After I took out the initial order. He was extremely mentally and psychologically abusive and on occasion physically abusive and that didn’t stop ever. Thankfully the violence decreased but the mental abuse intensified And it hasn’t stopped even though I left.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: There is a form you can fill out to request an extension. I don’t know if he was charged and convicted for violating the OFP, but that alone would be enough to get the OFP extended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.