Savannah, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: Husband abandoned our car (in his name only) and the family over a year ago. Do I have any rights to it, Can I sell it?

I found the car not too long ago abandoned, just as he abandoned the family. He is an alcoholic with many DUI's and domestic charges. He won't be driving anytime soon. Plus I am being told he moved out of state. I need money, he has not paid any child support. I have our marriage certificate. What else do I need to do to go get the car and sell it? Do I have a legal right to it since it is abandoned?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can only sell a car if it is titled in your name. If it isn't, then a divorce court will have to award you the car prior to you selling it.

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If the car is in his name then you won’t be able to legally sell it without going to court and getting permission to. Consult with an attorney who can review the facts of your case in detail and provide you with guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.