Saint Louis, MO asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Missouri

Q: I need to file a libel defamation of a minor case and I'm not sure where to find the forms needed. St Louis, MO

I really need help and my attorney doesnt do anything. My ex is claiming terrible thing in writing about my minor child and filing false police reports against me to make me look bad to our judge. He and his wife are in contempt of several orders, my attorney wont bring the evidence.

Where could I find the forms I need to file myself since im not getting help from my attorney?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The St. Louis County Circuit Court’s webpage has some common forms online. A defamation petition is not common nor something that pro se litigants generally file and successfully litigate. For example, do you know the essential elements of a defamation cause of action in Missouri? The inability to prove actual damages often dooms defamation claims in Missouri. If the defamatory statement was about your minor child and you want to sue on behalf of a minor then you’ll need to get authorized as the child’s next friend. You are free to sue pro se but you’ll increase your chances of a positive outcome if you hire a local attorney who knows defamation law in Missouri. If you are willing and able to pay for this costly litigation, I believe you’ll be able to find an attorney. Most family law attorneys are unfamiliar with defamation cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.