Layton, UT asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Tax Law for Utah

Q: I want to register an anonymous business in Wy, then in Ut where I live. When I register in Ut, will I lose anonymity?

I have an e-learning business. I want it to remain as anonymous as possible. So I plan on registering in Wy. I do all the work out of Ut, which means I probably need to register here as well.

1. Do I need to register in both states if I do all the work in Utah, or can I just register in Wy?

2. Will I be able to retain my anonymity when I go to register the business in Ut?

3. Should I consider anything legally besides double registration requiring me to pay tax in two states?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: It is not necessary to register in two states. In Utah, you can register a new business without revealing the names of the owners. To do this, you will need help from a third party like an attorney or registered agent services.

The newly created company will need an address, contact info, and a local resident or business to receive notice on behalf of the company as the Registered Agent. Naming an attorney or other business as the contact will suffice. This simply requires you to pay the attorney or business to handle these things for you.

You also need a manager, which can be the attorney or business. This allows you to personally remain unconnected with the new business. This works in cases of owning real estate (without a bank loan).

Keep in mind when it is time to pay taxes, or to accept money other than cash, you will normally need to register personally with the IRS to get an EIN.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.