Waukegan, IL asked in Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Small Claims for Illinois

Q: Acciden w/ an at fault driver w/ no insurance, pleading not guilty and has a B trial w/ lawyer. Should I get lawyer 2?

There was only property damage. I only have uninsured bodily damage, not property. I was never contacted to go to court, but I went for the first appearance and was told if I didn't show up for the trial, the other drivers case would be dismissed. Shouldn't the officer be there to testify instead of me?

2 Lawyer Answers
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: Unless the officer witnessed the accident/collision he has no personal knowledge of how the accident occurred-----that is why you would need to testify at the trial on the traffic ticket. You can contact a lawyer in your area to discuss the pros and cons of attending the trial on the traffic ticket as well as whether or not you might want to sue the at fault driver civilly.

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your question is a bit confusing. If you are saying that you were in an accident where the other driver was at fault and that the at-fault driver was cited with one or more traffic violations, it is only important that you attend the trial if you want the other driver to repair your car. The police officer cannot testify because the police officer did not see the accident occur. You did see the accident occur so you can testify. Almost certainly, your testimony will cause the other driver to be convicted. Meet with the State's Attorney, in advance, providing him/her with at least two estimates to repair your vehicle or at least two opinions that the vehicle is totally demolished, along with documentation of the current market value of your vehicle immediately prior to the accident.

If this is strictly a traffic court, the judge may not entertain your request for Restitution but you CAN get a Certified Copy of the Traffic Court Conviction to use as evidence in your Civil Case. Moreover, it will be reported to the Secretary of State and the at-fault driver will never be able to get a driver's license until they pay your damages or enter into an agreement to repay.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.