Hinesville, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: How should I go about it and what are the potential outcomes if I file for divorce?

Married in CT for 8 years about to be 9 years. Living in GA for 4 months. Separated but living under the same roof for about 4-5 years. I am in the military. She's an alcoholic and constantly under the influence. Wakes up and goes to sleep drinking. She has verbally abused me, has put her hands on my face, has at times prevented me from either walking away or leave the premise and has came up to me to tell me she wants to argue so she starts to touch me even when I say no or stop. In one occasion she wanted me to help her do something where my command, police and hospital staff had to get involved. I recently bought a house, she has gutted a closet and not bother put it back together, she bought a dog and just let's him do his business in the house and leaves the mess, she basically out of control. My mother and grandmother had moved in as well and they are seeing everything that's going on. My wife has a 19 year that lives with us as well if that makes a difference.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should work with an attorney right away who can help you with the proper course of action for the divorce. The outcome of filing for a divorce is that you will bring an end to this situation. You have to live in Georgia for 6 months and then you can file in this state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.