Las Vegas, NV asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for New Mexico

Q: Can I still sue my gyno for over prescribing opioids after a botched hysterectomy in 2008 causing current addiction

My gyno prescribed me way over 400 15mg Oxycodone and 10mg Hydrocodone a MONTH. Although the insurance refused to cover more than 1 Rx a month, the Dr. kept approving them to be filled and the pharmacy filled them. This continued for over a year. I became an addict because of this negligence and am currently still addicted to opiates!

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A New Mexico attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. I'm sorry for the impact this has had on your life. Regardless of jurisdiction, there is the inescapable problem that fourteen years have elapsed, aside from other issues. You can reach out to local law firms to see if they would offer you a free initial consult to offer their take on the matter.

Regardless of whether a law firm identified the merits for a claim, there is still a positive way to look at this. You have identified a problem and have had the courage to address it on a forum in seeking assistance. You still hold the power to direct your energies positively in researching for help with the addiction aspect of this matter. There are professionals and other resources out there to help you turn things around. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.