Q: What can I do? Suing GM will take years.My cars totaled price will never get me close to a reliable vehicle I need 4work

Feb 2nd I was doing the speed limit of 65mph around 7pm which was dark out. Upon reaching the top of a hill instantly saw a vehicle stopped in my lane w/out hazards on and rear ended them. I Driving 2010 Buick Enclave w/zero open recalls.but upon impact my seatbelt didn’t lockup nor did a single airbag deploy. I took full 65mph impact directly to my body. I should have flew out the windshield & be dead. The cop and EMT each stated it repeatedly. The crappy hospital was to busy and rushed me through the system. My lungs and ribs are severely bruised & swelled. But today is the tenth day and I Can’t lay down for more then 20 minutes on my back or right lung stops breathing. Since accident I’ve been sleeping a little every 2-4days due to extreme pain and overwhelming fear of failing to breathe. I run my own business startup and have 60+ business related trips that I need my vehicle for.Now I have no car and guarantee my business will fail. I also got the ticket for careless driving. TY

1 Lawyer Answer
Domenic J. Celeste
Domenic J. Celeste
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Firstly, do you have your own car insurance? If so, you need to report this accident to them immediately. If you have car insurance, hopefully they can pay the cost to replace your vehicle, although, I'm sure, it won't be much considering the year of the vehicle. Did the police come to the scene of the accident and make a report? If so, they would have gotten the contact and insurance information of the person who was stopped in your lane without hazards on. This person would be the one against whom you would have a case and from whom you would try and collect compensation. The money you would seek from this person includes the value of your vehicle, the cost of medical care, your loss in wages and future earning capacity, as well as pain and suffering and, possibly, other damages. I highly suggest that you consult with an attorney licensed to practice law in Florida and who regularly handles motor vehicle accident personal injury cases.

Terrence H Thorgaard and Gregory C. Maaswinkel agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.