Englewood, CO asked in Divorce for Colorado

Q: My wife and I are going to divorce, she wants me to cosign on a home before we divorce. What is the possible scenarios?

One of her stipulations is that I cosign for her home to buy as part of the divorce. She claims I will not be liable for any payments and we can put that in the separation agreement. She can not afford a mortgage on her own, she is planning on renting out two rooms to make the payment. Is this something even conceivable, will the court agree to this? Also, how do I protect myself if she states it is the only way she will ever divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Realize that if you do this, you will be responsible to the mortgage company for the payments regardless of what your separation agreement says. You can get a divorce with or without her agreement. y

You should consult with a lawyer to review your entire financial situation and advise you how best to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.