Houston, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: If your spouse has left and abandon his family and home, what rights do I have if we will eventually file for a divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Before you or he files, you need to do several things:

1) if he makes more than you do, you need to get your hands on as many assets as you can which means emptying bank accounts and applying for credit cards while you can still claim combined family income,

2) if he makes more than you do, hire a private detective if you suspect infidelity,

3) copy every document available that reflects every asset and every debt (house, car, 401k, retirement, IRA, checking, savings, credit card, vehicles, boat, ATV, pension, taxes, pay check stubs, etc),

4) open a new checking account,

5) open a post office box,

6) get any jewelry, stamp collections, coin collections, out of the house,

7) hire a divorce lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.