Denver, CO asked in Family Law and Child Support for Colorado

Q: Our daughter is 18 and a full time college student

Our daughter just turned 18 Feb, 11. She's a full time college student at a university since Aug 2021. We have a 9 year old son as well. Currently monthly payments are $1232 a month to which he hasn't paid in over a month and he's 23k in arrears. Payments were consistent for 2 years with 2 lags, and a few short payments, but over all he worked. Child support registry has nothing on file anymore and apparently he's in another country.

How does child support payments work after the child turns 18? How does arrears work?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: In Colorado, child support lasts until age 19. You can get a judgment for the back support plus interest of 12% per annum. However, it may be very difficult to collect the judgment if he is in another country. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.