Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: Restraining order

Hi my mom got a restraining order against my ex boyfriend the restraining order is in my moms name and her address I’m just one of the names on it and I was a minor when I was on it now I’m an adult and I don’t live with my mom if so person was to contact me would they still get in trouble or is it void for me bc I do not live at that address I’m also not a minor anymore

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I think the only way to know for certain is to have the restraining order reviewed. Remember you always have the ability to contact the police if he is contacting you and has a history with you bad enough that required a PPO. Reminding the police there is a PPO in place might also help them tailor their response.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.