Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: Landlord changed locks on me but left door open but I don’t have a key

Is there anything I can do to delaying the eviction??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The landlord cannot change the locks on you without filing for an eviction and obtaining a writ of possession.

Once a writ has been obtained, before changing the locks, the items must be placed outside so you can get it.

You should demand a key in writing. If it is denied, you have that in writing as evidence for court. Send it by e-mail, certified mail/return receipt, and whatever other notice requirement is in your lease.

If he files a dispossessory action, you can counterclaim for wrongful lockout/wrongful eviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.