Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: My 9-year-old daughter's dad and I share joint legal custody of my daughter although he has primary physical custody.

He has kept my daughter away from me since September of 2021.. I have not been allowed to talk to or see my daughter in 5 months.. it is in the court paperwork that I'd be allowed to see and talk to my daughter.. but he has decided to completely keep her from me.. I cannot afford an attorney at all so I really need to know what I can do myself legally without an attorney and also is what he is doing illegal... Again, we do share joint legal custody

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You have a contempt issue that can be legally handled to bring about the remedy. You will need to work with an attorney, but you can discuss the possibility of having her pay the legal fees since she is in contempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.