Asked in Probate for Kansas

Q: My dad recently passed away. Do we have to Apply for probate and appoint an executor if we can all agree on stuff

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: There are several different procedures for distribution of assets using probate procedure. Assets that have a payable on death (POD) designation are typically distributed based upon the POD. Transfer on death (TOD) deeds for real estate, filed before death, typically control how real estate is distributed. If there is real estate not transferred by a TOD deed, some probate procedure is required. If the assets consist of personal property valued

less than $40,000, there is a non-probate procedure provided for called a decedent's affidavit (K.S.A.59-1507b) that may be available to you to agree on a distribution among you. If the assets are more than $40,000 in value, there are several options to choose from depending upon the circumstances.

In any event, if there is a will (and there may be because you refer to the appointment of an executor), you must file the will with the court and you must do so within six months. If there is no reason to open an estate, the will may be filed under K.S.A. 59-618a for later probate procedures if they are required. You should seek the advice of legal counsel to sort out the options that best serve your circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.