Stone Mountain, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: My ex is making my son repeat the 11th grade so he graduates a year later.He has not failed any classes is not SPED.

I have joint legal custody of my son. His mother has primary custody. My son is in the 11th grade and has never failed a class and is on track to graduate at the age of 18 in May 2023. Last week, without consulting me as required by the Parenting Plan, she withdrew him from his school and enrolled him on another school. She intends to have him repeat the 11th grade. His current GPA is about 3.4. Clearly, an attempt to gain another year of support and not in the best interest of my son.

1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: She could be in contempt here. You should consult with an attorney who can review the facts of the case in detail and present you with guidance and options on how to best handle the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.