Albuquerque, NM asked in Copyright for New Mexico

Q: Registering copyright on sound recordings with multiple performers?

I will be registering several musical compositions of which I am the sole author, along with several sound recordings of those compositions. Because I am the sole author of the compositions, I will hold the exclusive copyright on the compositions themselves.

I am the producer and performer of the sound recordings, but I also had co-performers who I engaged to take part in the recordings, some of whom I am no longer in contact with. Am I able to register the copyright of the sound recordings on my own? Or must I somehow split copyright ownership of the recordings with my co-performers, and how can I do so if I can't contact them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Beverly Hills, CA

A: The sound recordings are "works for hire" whose copyright you own by virtue of your having engaged the performers, and you can register the copyrights in those recordings. In the application to register them you will indicate that the contributions of the performers were for hire. The copyright office does not inquire and does not care whether you fulfilled any agreements for payment of the performers, which is a matter just between you and the performers.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.