Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Tennessee

Q: My Mom died. Her land was held in an irrevocable sp. needs trust and I am sole heir. What do I need to do re: the deed?

My cousin is the Trustee and I have been in prison for a few years and don't know if there's a will or what to do. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your question cannot be answered without reviewing the trust and the deed, but chances are there is not a whole lot that needs to be done with respect to the titling of the property. The wonderful thing about holding land in a trust is when the settlor passes no probate is necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.