Leola, SD asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for South Dakota

Q: how do I look up a civil case. The case number is 08 civ 05000011

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A South Dakota attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your state has a website called - South Dakota Legal Self-Help -

This is how they describe their resources...

South Dakota has a statewide record search program. CRIMINAL cases are available, unless sealed, on the UJS system from 1989 to present. CIVIL cases, unless confidential or sealed, are available from 2003 to present. Active money judgments are available for the past 20 years and inactive money judgments from April 19, 2004 to present. CIVIL money judgement searches, only, can be accessed at: https://ujsjudgmentquery.sd.gov/login.aspx for a fee.


It looks like they speak of a $20 fee for some searches. If you research online on your own, sometimes you can find cases through other resources that are free. There are many free search tools have appeared in recent years.

If you are near a public library or a law school that offers access to the public, you could also explore whether a librarian could assist you for free.

Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.