Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property)

Q: How do I find out if the above patent is still live ? As I have heard it expired ? If so, can I purchase expired grants?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Chapel Hill, NC

A: Justia did not pass along the patent. But in general, you can use USPTO Public PAIR to check on what has happened to a patent.

Note that the USPTO is fairly liberal in allowing a patent owner to say that failure to pay a maintenance fee was unintentional. So with the payment of a fee, they can reinstate a patent that has lapsed for failure to pay a maintenance fee.

If a maintenance fee went unpaid within the last 2 years, they can revive with no questions asked. So proceed with caution. Always a good idea to check with a patent attorney before moving forward.

For example, there may be several patents from one application family and the patent owner may drop one but keep others.

If you found this answer helpful, you may want to look at my answers to other questions about patent law are available at the bottom of my profile page at

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.