Tampa, FL asked in Family Law and Probate for New York

Q: Mother past away, her portion of aunt's will to split between my sister & I. Lawyer hasn't sent info to start.

I have received a copy of the will and athe paperwork of how everything is to be divided.

But I also requested an accounting twice and have not received anything showing the accounting of aunt's will or anything to sign. Aunt passed away almost 3 years ago. What can I do? They are in NY and I am in Florida

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie Lawston
Bonnie Lawston
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Huntington, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You may compel an accounting 7 months after the appointment of a fiduciary and admitting the Will to probate. The accounting would also force the estate to distribute the funds. You do not need to be in NY but retain the services of an attorney who practices in NY. Our clients who have interests in NY and Florida estates, live all over the country.

Benjamin Z. Katz agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.