Nolensville, TN asked in Divorce for Tennessee

Q: Can my ex stop alimony if my boyfriend moves in with me? I have rehabilitative alimony in TN.

My decree states: Absent a material change in circumstance that would warrant a reduction or termination of alimony, the alimony continues for so long as his salary stays the same and either: the period expires or the wife remarries.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sarah Mansfield
Sarah Mansfield
  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your husband should still be required to pay for alimony as long as you don't remarry. Rehabilitative alimony is usually used for an economically disadvantaged spouse to acquire additional education or training so that they may achieve a standard of living similar to what they had during the marriage. Since the terms of your alimony seem to state that this ends when the "period expires" or when you re-marry, this alimony ends if you finish your education or other vocational job training, or if you re-marry. Overall, your boyfriend moving in with you should not have an impact on your ex paying for alimony

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.