Mccall, ID asked in Family Law for Idaho

Q: Looking for a lawyer or somebody that can just help me do response to a petition to modify it order judgment or decree

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Most attorneys are reticent to simply "help" someone prepare a "Response to Petition."

Why? Several reasons:

1. He will do much more work in helping you, then you feel like paying him for;

2. You will feel comfortable calling him several times, taking up his time for no compensation, remember, the only thing a lawyer has is knowledge and time; both of these have to be compensated, or he feels cheated; and

3. If you take the Response to Petition, and somewhere, along the line, things don't go your way, you will be looking for someone to blame. The only person you will blame, other than your ex, will be the only, other person who had ANYTHING to do with your presentation of your Response and trial, and that was the attorney, who tried to help you, but you did not feel you could hire him because you didn't have the money, or felt like you were well-prepared and just needed a "little help" and then you could do it yourself.

I know I would NEVER do what you're asking. If a patron hires me, they get MY knowledge, MY experience, MY smarts, and I stand by what I do. However, this seems like asking a lot for very little, to me. Sorry.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.